You Can Only Be Discriminated If You Allow Yourself To Be

Info@urdoorstep
By -
0
Some Months ago, a friend of mine sent me a message that looks really serious on Whatsapp saying ‘Joy, we need to talk’. I was really curious so I told her I’m all ears. Then she started the conversation by throwing a question at me ‘Are you going back for HND or you are going for Direct Entry into the university?’ she asked. I smiled and then told her that I’m going back for my HND. I couldn’t stop laughing when she said ‘I’m really fed up because the discrimination for HND holders is really much here in Nigeria’. She was surprised and felt a bit embarrassed because she couldn’t believe I was laughing at something that is really giving her a big concern. Seeing how my laughter was making her feel, I quickly apologised and told her a bitter truth. I said to her ‘You can only be discriminated if you allow yourself to be’ and she was like ‘How?’ I smiled and told her I was going to call her so that I can explain better.

What is discrimination? I know we are all familiar with the term but it should however be noted that it does not only apply to race, sex, religion etc. I also see discrimination as being prejudice, bias, bigotry, intolerance, narrow-mindedness, unfairness, inequity, favouritism, one-sidedness, partisanship and more. It can also be defined as the practice of unfairly treating a person or group of people differently from other people or groups of people.

The best way to feel discriminated is by thinking low of yourself. A person with a low self esteem is at higher risk of suffering discrimination. I’ve discovered over the years that the most effective ways to avoid feeling discriminated is to appreciate the kind of person God has made you and the possessions He has given you the grace to acquire. If you don’t value yourself or what you have attained or become, then you will always feel discriminated. You can’t escape it. I remember back in the days when I use to feel discriminated especially when I’m not at equal ground with my mates. And over the time I discovered that I was always feeling that way because I had low self esteem especially about my stature and my family background because I really felt like those two factors were the cause of some opportunities I missed back then. So I stated working towards improving my self esteem and thanks to God, and the books I’ve read, I came to appreciate the kind of person I am and whatever I have achieved over the years. Knowing so fully well that I have all it takes to achieve whatever I want to achieve in life. It doesn’t matter whether you are black or white, tall or small, intelligent or dull, good or bad, better or worse, a high school graduate or a college graduate, An HND holder or a degree holder, rich or poor, always value yourself and what you have become. It is only until then; that you can escape feeling discriminated.

Now let me talk briefly on the issue of HND (Higher National Diploma) to BSC (Bachelor in Science) as I really need to help out a friend with this part. The fact that I’m likely going to obtain a HND certificate in the long run does not mean that I will tell you that it is better than BSc or the fact that BSc seems to really be what’s trending now especially in Nigeria also does not mean I will tell you it is better than HND. To me, what I have doesn’t matter to me inasmuch as I can defend it quite well and get myself employed wherever
I’m opportune to be employed. Going to college isn’t all about getting the certificate. You go to school to gather the knowledge, skills and experience that will be useful to you outside the school environment. Of what use will it be if I have an HND certificate that I cannot defend? Or what is the use going to a university to obtain a BSc certificate that I genuinely cannot defend? The thing is, it’s not always about the certificate, it’s always about what you have in your brain, what you can offer,  how well you understand the nature of the job and your ability to carry out any duty assigned to you perfectly. And I tell you, you will discover that at this junction, your certificate might no longer be of help. The only thing that will help you is what you have equipped yourself with. You can never give what you don’t have. To me, I think the only and major instances where your certificate matters is when you have to show that you have indeed pass through college and have the major requirement for a job offer. So my dear, never allow someone to convince from doing what you really want to do. If you want HND, go for it, and if it’s BSc, it’s all good. Just make sure it’s your decision and not because of the fear of being discriminated. Truth is, as long as we breathe, discrimination will always come our way in one way or the other but it is in our power not to allow it get the best of us.

Now let me wrap this all up by saying that, discrimination is something that stems up first from the victim’s heart (Quote me anywhere). What I mean is, you might be discriminated for one reason or the other, but it is up to you to let it affect you or not. WHEN YOU LOVE AND VALUE YOURSELF AND WHAT YOU HAVE, NOMATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU ARE DISCRIMINATED, YOU WILL NEVER FEEL LIKE YOU ARE BECAUSE IT WILL MAKE NO MEANING TO YOU.
So never at any point try to compare yourself with another person. You will only end up hurting yourself. Nobody is richer and smarter than you. We all have 1 life. So let’s live it well.

Think Its Important? Please Share




Post a Comment

0Comments

We appreciate your Comments. Please Do

Post a Comment (0)